Sunday, April 19, 2015

So 1 time I actually replied to an email...

And this happened. Lol! Kidding. My very best most important friend is writing something for school on me (because she's the coolest, prettiest, bestest friend I've ever had) and I wanted to share. Read it, judge it, whatever you want to do with it. Just don't look for grammar errors because didn't proof read! (No non dance teacher got time for that.) XO

Being a non dance teacher. 
What was your early life like? How was it growing up? What activities were you involved in as a child? 
Growing up I was anything but responsible. I think that's why I turned out the way I am now! I was a energy machine, always getting into some sort of trouble. I was definitely a Tom boy. Whether it was running around the neighborhood with my boy crew, or staying up all night playing video games, or begging my dad for a new pack of Pokemon cards. All of my activities were some sort of just being a kid. I wasn't seriously committed into anything until I was 10 years old. That's when I started to dance competitively. From then on that's the story on my social life up until today. 

Did something in your life happen that made you choose your current career?
I think I was bored honestly. That's how I got into dancing. I was always wanting something to be engaged in, something to be obsessed with. Then when I started dancing it brought a whole new world into my life. That little did I know turned into my entire life. A big part of starting teaching for me was a lack of confidence I had. (Which is something I didn't have growing up so I didn't know how to experience such feelings.) I think I was so unsure of myself from moving at the hard age of 12 that I wanted to be good at something. I wanted something to matter. I didn't ever want someone to feel the way I felt going somewhere new and not feeling like they belonged. So I put my emotions into dancing. It really brought me through hard times and I think that's why it clicked so well for me.  

Why did you choose this career? 
I prefer to say this career chose me lol. I'm kidding. Mostly children is why I started on this adventure. I never wanted to be a great choreographer, or win all the awards at a opinionated dance competition. I just wanted to make people happy and make them the best version of theirselves. Granite I definitely have always said my goals were to be "the best teacher in the world" but I think that's so much more than awards. I think that's genuinely being the most caring, hard working, positive, role model I can be for my students. Winning is great and all but after you've done it for so long it becomes nothing but another day. Changing someone's life and giving them the confidence to think they can do something is the best career I think you could imagine getting paid for. 

Please explain you career. What are some of your major achievements thus far in your career?
Basically I deal with crazy moms and whining kids all day. So a mom babysitter and a daycare. I'm kidding haha. I teach dance! I teach lessons, I teach emotion, I teach to live for something. My greatest achievements are my students! I will brag to anyone that asks (or doesn't) about how they are the best kids I've met in my life. It's definitely been a rollar coaster to get here but it was the biggest best risk I've ever taken in my life. Also getting to watch them dance on Radio City was my favorite & one of my coolest accomplishments too.

What are you most passionate about? And why?
I'm passionate about stories. I like to feel something through music. I think that's another reason I started dancing. I think music gives you life and to be able to create something from a simple piece of music is an art I didn't know existed before my career. I think that it's not necessarily about the choreography but about the perfect match. Why does this piece of music scream leg turn on "misery", it doesn't that's what lol. I like to take lyrics and turn them into something of my own, something that means something to me. I'm pretty down to earth when it comes to criticism. I am a bigger critic of myself than anyone who could possibly voice their opinion to me. Which kind of makes choreography easier actually. If it clicks with me, than it's a go. I actually a few weeks ago committed to myself I would never create something that I didn't understand. That didn't make me feel something or go on an adventure to what the music is trying to portray. 

What inspires you the most?
My inspiration is my sister. I don't think I would have pushed myself to my breaking point & through it without her. She really inspired me to become better. A better teacher, choreographer, friend, mentor, everything. She has more talent in her pinky finger than I have in my entire body. The way she can captivate an audience is almost non human. She has a gift, which has given me a gift, and I don't think I can ever repay her for that. 

What makes you the happiest in life? What makes you the saddest?
The happiest in life...hmm... This is a tough question for me!!! Success used to make me the happiest. A quote I live by, my most favorite & life committed quote is "Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it." I mean I'm definitely a quote guru. If you would go through my camera roll I would say 80 percent my students, 9 percent quotes, and the last 1 percent trying to be a normal human being. Like that would ever happen. But I think what makes me the happiest is making others happy. I would give up all the money in the world to make someone smile. Let me tell you when I say I buy gifts I buy GIFTS! I like to give things away, I would rather go Christmas shopping and get nothing for myself. Shopping also makes me happy, but hey how couldn't a girl love a good pair of Louboutin heels? Also my kids make me happy but I think I've over gusted about them already haha. The saddest... Disappointment. Mostly in myself. If I think I did something wrong or made a bad decision it will completely drive me crazy. To the point where I make more bad decisions to cover it up. It's actually the worst part of myself I think! I don't like to thing what if? Or maybe? Or if you just would've? But I do that to myself! I try to live by "You're as happy as you want to be." Which gets me through hard times. Wow this paragraph is so dramatic! Haha! I really am a super positive person but I like things the absolute hardest ways that's what makes me, me. 

If you could do life all over again… What would you do different?
Man I wish this was real! I actually don't think I would change many things! I think I've gotten myself on a good path to my future. I think that like the night, life is young. There's so much more to learn and experience. So many more people to meet and mountains to climb. 

Hardest question… What is your biggest turning point in life?
My biggest turning point in life... I'm not sure I completely understand the question so I'll answer in 2 ways. My first turning point was believing in myself. This is when I actually thought I could do something amazing! Imagine that haha. When I found my calling I guess. When I witnessed what it's like to love something and have it mean the world to you. I might not have had the typical love story but I think along the road of life this path I've chosen is definitely more meaningful than any roses I could receive or kiss I could've experienced. In another case I don't think I've necessarily had another turning point in my life. I've definitely had dark days that I thought my choices weren't what I really wanted but nothing extraordinary stands out to me as a turning point. I'm definitely waiting for it to happen though. I feel I'm destined for something big, something unimaginable, but although my friends often joke that I predict the future (apparently I have an intelligent & imaginative mind that can make unique scenarios come true, I prefer to call it realist. Lol) I have absolutely no idea what my next adventure for myself holds. Any day now though life! I'm ready for it hehe. 

So there it is people. Alexa Moffett. Part time non dance teacher, part time realist, part time personal shopper, part time lover of passion.

I hope you learn something from this nonsense. Hard work is the route to success. Never have something handed to you.


"If you were just given Chanel you definitely deserve Walmart." -Alexa Moffett

1 comment: