Friday, October 3, 2014

3 Venti Coffee's a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Alexa's Absurd Lyfe Continued.

Actually it doesn't. (Maybe the moms.) It forces you to drag yourself to urgent care every 3 weeks. So don't put excessive amounts of money onto your Starbucks app and you won't end up creating blogs at 3:00am, like me. Lessons with Alexa. But wow guys. I can't thank you enough for your feedback and support for me while I continue my sleepless nights of typing. I actually desperately hate sharing about myself. But don't worry based on recent events my comedy horror is still in full swing and won't be solved any time soon. I although enjoy this about my life because quite frankly, I can't imagine being anything less than impractical. 

Part 2. The Feather Boa and the "Friendy"

Returning to the studio was not going to be an easy task for stubborn Alexa. The idea of having to actually work at something I wasn't already a "know it all" at was hard to grasp. But I put on the purple velvet leotard and got in the car. Little did I know that day changed my life for the better. As I walked into the studio I noticed my teacher and another student in a rehearsal alone. I was intrigued to see what exactly was going on and rushed over to the window to watch. I was amazed at what I saw from this student and couldn't help but want to be just like her. She was dancing and performing to an upbeat cutesy musical theater song with a draping pink feather boa around her shoulders. (Feather boa like come on, what 10 year old doesn't love that.) One mom at the window immediately told me about this 9 year old little blonde dancer and how she was very talented and therefore privileged to be "asked to learn a solo". (*Note first dance mom experience at age 10.) I didn't know what that meant, but I wanted it. And I wanted to be her friend. Yes part of the reason I started working hard was because I was a "friendy" like I tell my students. Define: Friendy- trendy with friendships. But for the first time in my life I decided I was going to do it. And that's what started this insanity. Wanting to be just like this girl.

I earned this burning desire to fit in. I wanted to be the star. (Nothing's changed.) Later that day my mom took me to the library. She told me we were going to get a few things to help me understand what exactly dance is. I laugh at this part of the story every time because it seems so unbelievable and unrealistic. We found a few dance tapes and this is where I learned all of my positions and basics, off of a ballet video tape I rented from the library. I most likely still have this tape somewhere, assuming I must've stolen it. Considering I watched it every hour of the day. Anyways along with the memorization of basic techniques came every dancer's worst nightmare. And no I don't mean tap, that is coming later. STRETCHING. I cried everyday in front of the television while my mom would push me down in my splits. But I wouldn't let her stop. I wanted to be just as flexible as the girl I watched through the window. I would say the phrase "I practiced" was an understatement for the amount of work I did. I committed everything I had to becoming a dancer. Not just any dancer, the best dancer.

Although my commitment was starting to get there, my skills were still below the level of a 7/8 year old competitive dancer. I set a goal for myself to be able to dance with students my age by the end of the season. Goals are something I live by. I believe that without a goal there is nothing to work towards. Lessons with Alexa. With this new task I had set for myself came turning on the correct foot, possibility pointing a foot here and there, and mastering the dreaded "triple time step." Yes tap. I was that student. The one where her mom came in the last 5 minutes of class to record the teachers feet because the teacher needed more than a glass of wine after trying to instruct this amateur. (TG for my cute smile.) While the rest of the class was moving along across the floor I was sliding around the back corner pondering what the a "buffalo" was and how it some how wasn't an animal. 

I hope that with this continuation of absurdness you've learned these things:
  1. Never underestimate the feather boa.
  2. The proper definition of "friendy" and why you should use this on the daily.
  3. Ballet via VCR may possibility make you one of the greatest teachers to strut the earth. (JK of course, what is technique?)
  4. Buffalo's are equally as much an animal as a traveling tap step.
  5. Lessons with Alexa. Live by them.
But mostly, getting started in dancing isn't an easy task. It takes a lot of commitment and I respect and encourage anyone willing to put the work in that it is one of the most beautiful things you will ever experience. I tell my students daily that if there's one thing I hope you learn from me. It's perseverance. Work ethic. That if you set your mind to something you will do it. There is no one holding you back besides yourself.
Quote: "When no one else believed in me, I did." 

Alexa XO

1 comment: