Saturday, October 4, 2014

Clothes Over Bros. Blogging Over Sleep.

In honor of national not having/never having a boyfriend day.

Besides the fact that I'm totally against having a wedding or even getting married in the first place, dance is my boyfriend. Look for Alexa Moffett as staring role of The Bachelorette 2019. Haha, you think I'm kidding. The hardest part of life as a 21 year old going on old is unless you're under the age of 11 or over the age of 50 we have nothing in common. Child at heart and brain of an 85 year old women. Although if you think you fit this criteria (which is no one ever) then please feel free to "slide into the DM's" as my kids say or add to my now 21,163 unreads. "Just because you don't have a prince, does not mean you are not a princess." Lessons with Alexa. Short post tonight because this heading should really be called "choreo overload" or "go to bed and stop blogging." These 12 hour days are really testing my coffee endurance and intruding in my nightly online shopping. 

Part 3 The Chosen One

I think eventually I outgrew the dreaded student stage and became the back left corner dancer. Which was not fine with perfectionist Alexa. I wanted "the solo" and to be friends with the little blonde girl. I of course was fan-girling over this dancer and eventually was going to have to meet her in real life. I strongly live by "20 seconds of courage" from one of my favorite movies. Try it, it actually works. So without hesitation I finally introduced myself. I always get what I want. (Lol because I'm mocking myself for tweeting this weeks ago.) But this time I did. Little feather boa blonde girl, also named Lauren, became one of my best friends and we are still going strong today. Just as I had predicted. But no guys I didn't get the feather boa... Just yet. There was still much more work and commitment to be done to hopefully meet my goal. 

My competition classes were getting better and I still strutted in everyday wearing my one purple velvet leotard. Which reminds me to mention how fortunate child dancers are today. All of their custom dance wear their moms put so much work into finding, sewing, altering, etc. (That was a mom compliment.) My family didn't have a lot of extra money to spend and my one leotard was perfectly alright with me. I actually even made friends with 2 girls in my class. One by choice and one forcefully. I think these classes are where I learned to have such thick skin at a young age. Actually I know. Dance is full of rejection and you have to learn that you win some, you lose some. I am blessed to have very supportive family members who helped me and gave me the encouragement at home to keep following my dreams. 

Along with starting dance also came the "chosen child" following in my footsteps. Yes, you guessed it, my sister Addison. (Who has been asking everyday where her mention in my blog is. Here you go rainbow.) We are 4 1/2 years apart and as most of you know, she is my best friend, tweetle dum, and sidekick for life. She started off in a recreational tap/ballet class but was soon added to the competition team because of her natural facility for dance. I was jealous of her lack of commitment and quick ability at picking up this activity. She was always the one laying on the couch feeding herself grapes while I was shuffling away on my tap board (my mom had made so I didn't ruin ALL the hard work floors) still attempting to figure out the difference between a single and triple time step. I hope you all know or trust me I could still win a time step battle to this day. My favorite memory of child Addison is when I used to force her to learn "solos" from me and dress her up for performances in my living room. Lighting, staging, makeup, and all. (Random Alexa child moment: Once my mom brought me to a "makeup class" for gymnastics and I was so happy to go until I arrived and realized it was the you had to go in the gym kind of class not the pretty kind.) You can imagine how much she enjoyed this. I always have enjoyed being a producer and bossing people around apparently.

Quote: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
I feel as if my scatter brain has gotten the best of me today. Sometimes everything just gets blended together and I'm lost in my own thoughts. Never talk behind someone's back and always say how you feel. Currently I have been reminded quite a bit that not everyone is who they say they are. If you really want to do something or prove something, then get up and do it. Show that you are willing. Commit yourself and work at it everyday. I have learned the hard way that everyone is in it for themselves and if you are willing to offer something out of the goodness of your own heart you will be taken advantage of. You know yourself so trust your instinct and you will always make the decision that is meant to be. 

Wish we luck and elephants (my most favorite animal) on these 12 hours days. 

Alexa XO

No comments:

Post a Comment